Roasted Tomato Chickpeas Curry is a semi-dry based curry.
Roasted-Tomato based curries or recipes are made less here in India as far as my knowledge goes. As we all know tomatoes are very rich in Vitamins, minerals, and is 95% water.
These make a very good base for any veg or non-veg curry to give that gravy kind of texture.
Many recipes are made using Chickpeas like Sundal/Guggillu made of cooked Chickpeas with tempering and grated coconut during Vinayaka chavithi a festival of Lord Ganesha, Bassaaru, kind of tangy stew or rasam using Green Leafy Vegetables, Kurma/Korma, Pulusu at my home.
Chickpeas chat is also a very good replacement for your evening snack.
Today I’m going to share a simple Chickpeas Curry(Semi-Dry) which can have as a snack or chat or a side dish.
Now let’s get into the detailed procedure of the recipe
- Chickpeas/Chanagalu/Kadalekaalu-2 Cups
- Ginger/Allam/Shunti-1 Inch
- Garlic cloves/Vellulli Rebbalu/Bellulli-4
- Green Chillies/Pachi Mirapakayalu/Hasi Menshinkai-1
- Curry Leaves/Karivepaku/Karibevsoppu-1 Sprig
- Turmeric Powder/Pasupu/Harsina-1/4th Teaspoon
- Chilly Powder/Kaaram/Khaaraa-2 Teaspoons
- Coriander Powder/Dhaniyala Podi/Dhaniya Pudi-1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala-1 Teaspoon (optional)
- Oil-2 Teaspoons
- Salt-As Required
For Cooking Chickpeas
- Soak Chickpeas overnight in normal water or for 2 hours in hot water.
- Once Chickpeas are soaked well, drain the water and pressure cook with 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt, for 3 whistles.
For Roasted Tomato Chickpeas Curry
- Firstly, slightly cross cut the tomatoes, brush with little oil, place them on tawa and roast until the skin turns black.
- Once fried, keep aside and allow it cool.
- Secondly, finely chop the onions, garlic, ginger, slit the chilly and keep aside.
- Heat a teaspoon oil in a pan, add finely chopped garlic, ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- Once fried add in curry leaves and fry until crisp.
- Now add in onions, turmeric powder, green chillies and fry until onions are translucent.
- By now tomatoes must have cooled down, so, remove the skin, finely chop the tomatoes and add-in.
- Fry until tomatoes turn mushy or until cooked well.
- Once tomatoes are cooked add in salt, red chilly powder, coriander powder and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the cooked chickpeas and saute for 5 minutes.
- Once sauteed, add cooked chickpea water (Chickpeas stock) and mix well until absorbed.
- Check for salt if needed. Add in garam masala if using. Do not hesitate to check the seasoning while cooking 😀
- Once done, garnish with lemon wedges, coriander leaves, mint and serve hot with steamed rice.
- Put this in the mid of chapati, sprinkle finely chopped onions, roll and have it.
♥ If you want it to be a little on the gravy side add the remaining stock and boil for 2 minutes.
♥ Do not fry ginger and garlic for a long time as it gets brown and the taste will be changed to bitter if this happens, add 1 teaspoon Sugar to reduce bitterness.
Buy organic Chickpeas here.
Note: Shopping link is for general purpose only
2 thoughts on “Roasted Tomato Chickpeas Curry(Semi Dry)”
healthy and tasty recipe and your way of explaining is very nice, I will definitely try this recipe. thanks for this valuable recipe.
Thank you. I am glad that you came across my post and liked it. Please do let me know how it has turned out once you try the recipe. 🙂