Boneless Chicken Biryani is one of the highly requested recipes on the blog and also a non-veg recipe post after a long time. I usually make biryani in pulao style with all the spices that are used in the Biryani recipe because I feel it is easy to make and takes less time as it is a one-pot meal.
I was so sceptical of cooking basmati rice as I used to not understand the proper ratio for the rice and water, also basmati rice differs from one brand to another. But one fine day I learnt the proper method and ratio so since then I follow the same method whenever I cook Biryani or pulao with basmati rice. I always soak basmati rice for at least 30 mins before making pulao or biryani.
In general Rice to Water ratio is 1:2 but when we soak it will be 1:1 because the rice will absorb 1 cup of water while soaking. This way you will get the perfect biryani recipe.
Today I am showing you how to do it in Electric Rice Cooker, you can use the same method if using a spot or handi or pressure cooker. I will post a pressure cooker recipe soon. Meanwhile, you can check out Butter Chicken and Chicken Fry with lollipop base/sauce which is already on the blog.
Now let’s jump into the step by step procedure of the Boneless Chicken Biryani (Pulao Style) recipe
- Basmati Rice- 4 Cups( see the glass I used here)
- Boneless Chicken-500gm
- Clarified Butter/Ghee/Neyyi/Thuppa-1 Tablespoon
- Oil-1 Tablespoon
- Cinnamon/Dalchina Chekka/Chakke-2 1 inch each
- Black cardamom/Nalla Yalakulu-1
- Star anise/-2
- Biryani leaves/Biryani Aaku/Biryani Yele- 4-5
- Biryani flower/Stone Flower/-small piece
- Shajeera-1 Teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste/Allam Vellulli Muddha/Shunti Bellulli Muddhe-1 Tablespoon
- Onions/Ullipayalu/Eerulli-3 big thinly sliced
- Green chillies/Pachi Mirapakayalu/Hasi Menshinkai- 5 slit
- Pudina/Mint-1 bunch small or 1 cup
- Coriander leaves/Kotthimeera/Kotthambari- 1 bunch small or 1 cup
- Cumin powder/Jeelakarra Podi/Jeerige Pudi-2 Teaspoons
- Coriander powder/Dhaniyala Podi/Dhaniya Podi-2 Teaspoons
- Garam masala-2 Teaspoons
- Turmeric/Pasupu/Harshina-1 Teaspoon
- Red chilly powder/Kaaram/Khaaraa -2 Teaspoons
- Biryani masala-3 Teaspoons ( I use Eastern Biryani Masala, you can use anything of your choice)
- Curd/Perugu/Mosaru(optional)-1 Tablespoon
For Chicken Marination
- Turmeric-1 Teaspoon
- Ginger/Allam/shunti- 1 Teaspoon grated
- Garlic/Vellulli/Bellulli- 4 crushed
- Red chilly powder -2 Teaspoons
- Ginger garlic paste-1 Teaspoon
- Salt-as required
Pre-Prep for Boneless Chicken Biryani
- Wash and clean chicken, soak in saltwater for 30mins(optional) but I recommend this step as it helps in cooking the chicken tender and properly.
- After soaking discard the water and marinate the chicken
Soaking Basmati Rice
- Wash basmati rice thoroughly until you see clear water, and then add water until the rice is immersed.
- Soak for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain water and keep aside in strainer until the water is completely drained.
- Switch on an electric cooker, on cooking mode add ghee, oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add shah jeera, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, black cardamom, star anise, mace, biryani leaves, biryani flower and saute for a minute.
- After a minute, add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Cover immediately to avoid spluttering
- Now add onions, green chillies, salt, turmeric and fry until onions turn golden brown or until it comes to keep warm mode
- Once onions turn golden brown and fried well, add coriander leaves and mint leaves and fry for 2 mins or until you know it is fried well
- Then add all spice powders and fry for 5 mins or until oil oozes out and comes to keep warm. Keep mixing in the intervals to avoid burning the spices.
- Now add marinated chicken mix well and cover until chicken is cooked well till comes to keep warm. Once comes to keep warm mode check whether the chicken is cooked or not if it is not done turn on the cooking mode and cook well.
- Meanwhile, if you are using curd, take it in a bowl, whisk well and add into the spices by continuously stirring to avoid curdling the curd.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add soaked, drained basmati rice fry for few minutes or until aromatic
- Then add salt as required, mix once and then add water
- Keep on cooking mode and cook until it comes to keep warm.
Enjoy your hot spicy Boneless Chicken Biryani with raita, onion rings and lemon on side 😀