Atukula Laddu/Flattened Rice Laddu is a healthy sweet which is easy to make. Atukulu/Flattened Rice is one of the favourites of Lord Krishna. Recipes with these are quick and easy. Gojjavalakki, poha,chivda, Atukula Payasam are some of the popular dishes. Gojjavalakki is often made in Karnataka.
Flattened rice can be eaten raw with milk, jaggery or sugar, a quick breakfast or a snack. Atukula laddu is made of jaggery, clarified butter/ ghee, and dry fruits. In this recipe, I haven’t used any wet ingredients other than clarified butter/ghee. Trust me this tastes yumm with ghee. You can even eat as it is without making it into balls in powdered form like Satyanarayana Swamy podi prasadam, which looks like a crumbled mixture.
You can use milk if required but I personally don’t prefer it as it feels a little heavy and difficult to store for a long time.
Now let’s get into the step by step procedure of the recipe
Ingredients for Atukula Laddu/Flattened Rice Laddu
- Flattened Rice(Thick)/Atukulu/Avalakki-1 Cup
- Wheat Flour/Godhuma Pindi/Godihittu-1/4th Cup
- Clarified Butter/Ghee/Neyyi/Thuppa-50ml
- Cashew nuts/Jeedipappu/Godambi-10
Procedure to make Atukula Laddu/Flattened Rice Laddu
- Firstly, finely chop the Cashewnuts, almonds and keep them aside.
- Secondly, grate or finely chop Jaggery and keep aside.
- Now take a pan, add in 1 teaspoon ghee, flattened rice and fry until start changing colour or aromatic.
- Once done, remove fried atukulu/flattened rice from the pan into a plate and allow it to cool down.
- Meanwhile, add 1 teaspoon oil in the same pan, add in Cashewnuts, almonds and fry until golden brown.
- Once fried, add in Wheat Flour, fry until aromatic and keep aside
- Now take the flattened rice and Jaggery in a mixer jar and grind to a powder.
- Put this mixture in the wheat flour mixture and mix well.
- Now take a pan heat the remaining ghee and pour into the flattened rice & wheat flour mixture and make into balls immediately.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks and enjoy 🙂
What else recipes you prepare with flattened rice? Do let me know in the comments section below. 🙂
♥ You can add dry fruits of your choice like pistachios, dates, raisins etc.
♥ You can even use powdered sugar or palm jaggery instead of jaggery
♠You can find palm jaggery in any local store or here
Note: Purchase link is for general purpose only.
6 thoughts on “Atukula Laddu/Flattened Rice Laddu/Avalakki Laddu”
Yummy it was
Thank you 😀
I made this last Sunday and it turned out to be a very healthy snack. I am eating one Atukula Laddu every morning. It is giving me enough stamina to go through the hectic morning before I actually have my proper breakfast. (Y)
That sounds great, this made my day. Thank you so much 🙂 Will post some more healthy snack recipes soon.:-)
I tired out the Atukulu laddu and my son loved it … keep posting such nice recipes pls …
Hi Vas, I am glad that your son loved it 🙂 More such recipes coming soon.
Meanwhile, you can check my recent post on Energy Balls, and let me know if you like it 🙂